Friday, June 25, 2010

melting down

I had a meltdown this morning. I have a feeling that any of you who have struggled with your weight know this routine: Get up, get ready, go to closet. Closet is full of clothes. But you have nothing you can put on. Nothing fits, or if it fits, it doesn’t work with anything else, or the thing it would work with is dirty, so-dirty-you-can’t-throw-it-in-warm-dryer-to-hide-the-wrinkles dirty. So you begin to try on clothes, get frustrated sling them at the wall, creating a mountain you’ll inevitably trip over. You have no clothes, and today is starting out on the wrong foot.

That was me today. I had no pants. Or tops that went with the pants I had. I work in a very business-dressy environment, no skirts or dresses allowed, only pants and today none of the clean ones fit. I know this routine extremely well, but today’s was different: I am used to dismissing outfits because of visible rolls or the inability to breathe. Today, all 4 pairs of clean pants in my closet were too big. It was a small victory in a frustrating situation. I am still on the path . . .I am still winning the fight with my weight, albeit not with my closet.

I ended up in a pair of dirty pants.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I so feel your pain. But you know what? I'll take a dirty pair of (smaller) pants over a clean pair of (bigger) pants any day. Perspective, friend. I know the feeling and the frustration, but remember the CAUSE - you are LOSING WEIGHT!

    ReplyDelete